10.05.2009

Should I drink that latte?

Since this is Pregnancy Awareness month I thought I would share a few things about my (little) experience. I know it’s very little compared to someone like my mother who has a van full of kids, but hey, my little bit is better than nothing, right? One thing that bother me deeply when going through my miscarriage was the thought that I killed my own baby because I had one too many reese’s peanutbutter cups, or because of the 2 lattes I drank splurging.. My doctor drilled it in my head, and the web backs it up, that caffeine is ok- in moderation.

In times past, many physicians recommended against caffeine during pregnancy. Research had shown that caffeine does indeed pass on through the placenta to your baby. However, many physicians and researchers now believe that moderate amounts of caffeine (less than 300 milligrams a day) won't harm your baby.

Some studies found that women who did have more than a moderate amount of caffeine had a higher risk of miscarriage, but doctors see nothing wrong with a cup of coffee to start your morning. My doctor encourage it, as a matter of fact, because your blood sugar gets low in the morning. She had countless pregnant women fainting because they would get up in the morning, go to the bathroom (drops your blood sugar even lower), and then take a shower (again, drops your blood sugar), causing them to faint and possibly hurting themselves and/or the baby.

Take your time in the morning, get a cup of coffee or tea to start your day, and enjoy your pregnancy! Love you guys!

P.S.
Little fact:
A 16 oz. regular brewed coffee has 266 mg. of caffeine while a 16 oz. latte has 150 mg. So a latte is better for you than a regular cup of Joe! I’m just sayin’.. :)

9 people shared some ♥♥♥:

Jessa Stephens said...

I've read that too. For a little while I stopped drinking coffee, because I thought it could couse a miscarriage.
However, that doesn't seem to be the case. Small amounts are WAY OKAY. =) Good thing tooo. Going through life....never having simple enjoyments.... always wondering if your preganant or not could make a person pretty much crazy!!

Grace & Co said...

For awhile after the miscarriage I stopped drinking coffee or anything with caffeine in it out of pure frustration. I'm so thankful my doctor told me that's not why I lost my baby.

I don't care anymore now. I allow myself my pick-me-up in the morning, and if I want anymore I drink decaf for the flavor- not the buzz.

Living life so cautiosly that you can't enjoy yourself is never fun, and it doesn't get you pregnant. It's all in God's hands. I just wish He'd hurry up! ;)

Anonymous said...

God's timeing is Perfect Gracie, Trust Him and Rest in Him. Sounds easy for me to say you are probably thinking but I am telling you from experience. I love you and you are always in my thoughts and my prayers.
The caffeine thing, I had no clue that there was a school of thought that caffeine could cause miscarriages, I must have missed that one when I was having babies. I cut out the caffeine strictly for the upset tummy that it caused, me and possibly baby. Wow, I thought I had heard everything.
Wish we could see you guys, we miss you so much.
Love,
Aunt Marcy

Grace & Co said...

Thanks Aunt Marcy. That means a lot to me. I know God's timing is perfect- I just have to learn my patience lesson.

Honestly I'm doing pretty good. I enjoy my job and my life right now. But I can't wait either, you know?

Studies show that high doses of caffeince aren't that great for babies and they think it may cause miscarriages, but 2 of my doctors told me that you'd have to have a HIGH dose for it to hurt the baby, so mommies shouldn't worry about drinking that latte- or indulging in a little chocolate.

I thought it would be nice to share baby things this month, even though I know little, I know more than some! haha

Anonymous said...

Well you knew more than me as far as the caffeine is concerned with pregnancies. I honestly never new that information until I read it on your blog. I must admit, you do read a lot more than I do so you are more informed on many things that I just do not take the time to read about. I am doing better though. I have been reading steadily for a couple of months now. I tried to get into the Twilight books and they do absolutely nothing for me, they seem so junior high ish. I prefer to read true life crime novels and I also enjoyed the books by oh, I don't remember her name. Redeeming Love and a couple of others that she had written.
Gotta Go,
Aunt Marcy

Anonymous said...

One more thing, the Patience Lesson, I'm still learning that one myself. I keep thinking maybe I'm doing better than there is another "test" piled on me. Life is so unpredictable. Stay close to God, He will never fail us.
Love you,
Aunt Marcy

Netty said...

You are right about needing to enjoy yourself. I spent what should have been the most wonderful time of my life in ultimate fear every day.
One day I got so sick I thought I was just going to pass out. Spoke with my doctor and come to find out I was having withdrawals from caffeine.
She prescribe 1-2 coke classics a day and to never again go cold turkey on anything while pregnant.
I keep both you and Jessa in my prayers.
I know what God did for me and I am the least among you all!

Love ya!
Annette

Momma Tammi said...

God's timing is perfect, but that is something that we all must learn at our own rate. Keep dispelling those myths and old wives tales, so that when other young women get pregnant (those who read your blog), they won't be such nervous nelly's worrying about every little thing.;)

Grace & Co said...

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the comments.

As for Twilight- I enjoy them.. They're junior high, but I've read worse. :)

As for God's timing and patience.. I don't know. It gets stressful, but what can I do? Just pray and keep trusting God the best that I can. I don't know what else to do.