12.01.2006

A CRAZY day!

Our day was SO crazy yesterday! I just laughed and shook my head thinking about it… It was insane! I let myself sleep in yesterday morning because I was really tired, so by the time I got up and finished my devotions and checking my e-mail it was getting late. Mom left to be with Grandma Bunny so I woke all the kids up and had them eating breakfast and getting ready for the day. Around 10:30 the fire alarms go off. My heart stops. I smell for smoke while checking every room for a fire. Then I run downstairs and start waving a towel in front of the kitchen alarm. It doesn’t work. So I run through the house turning on all the ceiling fans, exhaust fans, and open the front door and take a box fan and point it out to draw the house air outside (thank goodness we have that storm door now!). STILL didn’t work! I go back to putting the dirty dishes in the dishwasher hoping they’ll stop! Eventually they did. So I told the kids to grab their schoolbooks and we’ll start up some school. Well, they started up AGAIN! So I called Mom and said, “We’re leaving. We can’t stand this noise anymore so we’re getting out of the house.” Thankfully Mom left the van keys “just in case for some weird reason something happens.” *shiver* I wonder if she reads minds sometimes.

Anyways, I load up the kids in the 15-passenger van and I start it up. It putters then dies. I try again. It putters then dies. I started praying, “God just help us to get to the library so we can get away from the noise.” I tried again, and it worked! Thanks Lord! :-) We head off to the library. Yes, I DROVE the 15-passenger with NO parent! Scary, huh?! The kids probably thought so too! :-P

So we went to the library. Anya’s (our Russian librarian) eyes got wide when we came in and she said, “Are you in charge?” with her Russian accent. It was so cute! I explained to her the reason we had come and I think she had some sympathy; because she told us if we needed anything let her know. So we stayed in the back corner of the library looking at magazines and books. Mom had all of our library cards so we couldn’t get on the computers or check out books. That was a bummer! It finally got to be around 12:00 when I told the kids I wanted to go home. I was getting tired and hungry…and Tommy was starting to get restless too. As we were walking out the door we saw Mom drive past the library. We jump up and down yelling at her and we saw her drive to the other parking lot on the other side of the library so the boys run over their while I take the girls and Tommy with me and we get back in that BIG red van. Mom drives around with Jacob and Philip right when I realize we are on EMPTY! I told Mom, so we went to the gas station and filled both vehicles.

After filling vehicles we head over to the fire dept. and get some firefighters to come home with us and check out our stupid fire alarms! So we had a big fire truck follow us home! It was cool! They parked in front of our house and we all went inside. The stupid alarms were STILL going off when we walked in. They unhooked all of them and shot compressed air through them and explained that they get dusty in there and the alarm can’t figure out dust from smoke. So they go off! The silence we all heard afterward was beautiful!

That afternoon we went to McDonald’s and then just hung around the house relaxing. We TRIED to watch a show I recorded the night before but I think the tape was bad because we couldn’t see a stinking thing…just hear what was going on. It was pretty frustrating. :-P

After Dad got home from work and got showered we headed over to Grandma Bunny’s house. On the way we ran over a poor bird, and when we all looked behind us there was a huge poor of feathers everywhere. *sigh* Poor thing.

We got to Grandma Bunny’s house and had dinner with her. That was a little emotional for me, not seeing Ike there in his favorite chair reading something. Mom turned on some classical Christmas songs that I know Ike would have loved. I bit the inside of my lip quite a bit to not cry. But the dinner was good, and we all enjoyed the fellowship.

Then we came home and had music practice till 10:00 p.m.! *sigh* That was crazy…and we all were tired… Never do that. ;-)

Well, I hope you all enjoyed reading about my day. I get tired just thinking about it all again! Have a great day! Oh, and clean out your fire alarms if you haven’t in awhile. ;-)

~Gracie~

7 people shared some ♥♥♥:

wemmies said...

Fire Alarms are the most horrible sound! But they do their job... you can't sit still until you know what is going on! I am glad your house wasn't on fire!! O.O LOL!

WTG on driving the BIG van... I don't know if I could do that! '~'

wemmies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momma Tammi said...

Insanity...oh the bliss! ~grin~ Glad it is something that you can look back upon and grin about.

Rebekah Doran said...

LOL That's funny. I'm glad it was only dust!

Juls4Him said...

I fogot all the excitement I missed being offline and missing your blog! I'm checking for dust now... hugs!

The Middle J said...

WOW What a day!!! I'm rather tired now I can't imagine how you feel lol.

As I was reading I was expecting it to end but it just kept on and I kept on laughing and saying "poor gracie" lol

Grace & Co said...

My stomach drops every time I hear a fire alarm...it is a horrible sound! Thankfully we haven't had the alarms go off anymore so I'm happy! :-)

Wendy, I read your Blog! Your husband is CRAZY!!!

I definitely like to keep life interesting! :-P

Driving the van wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but parking it was difficult. :-S Never underestimate the power of a woman! ;-) At least that's what Ladies Home Journal says. Ha ha!